An individual in this role should be prepared to handle the litigation of Workers' Compensation files from referral to resolution, including but not limited to all phases and aspects of the investigation, pleadings, discovery, evaluation, hearings, motions/petitions, trial, reconsiderations, reporting and compliance with litigation management guidelines. In addition, be prepared to assist with training and presentations to Claims, as well as various value-added tasks are required.
As an Attorney with Staff Counsel, you will also provide legal advice and representation to AIG and the insured while minimizing legal and indemnity exposure.
Additional responsibilities you should note are that you will be expected to draft legal pleadings, perform research, and handle project work for the office. This employee will negotiate settlements and handle all aspects and phases of the file, including investigation, pleadings, discovery, depositions, working with experts, evaluation, motions, mediations/arbitrations, and trial.
Key Responsibilities include:
• Drafting legal papers, performing research, conducting depositions, and making court appearances.
• Reporting on litigation progress and developments to AIG and our clients; examining reports, evidence, and other relevant data to determine advisability of proceeding with litigation.
• Analyzing probable outcomes through knowledge and research of legal precedents.
• Developing and executing trial and pre-trial strategy for the most cost-effective outcome
• Negotiating settlements on behalf of the client and AIG; trying cases and handling project work.
For positions based in California, the base salary range is $108,000 - $135,000 and the position is eligible for a bonus in accordance with the terms of the applicable incentive plan. In addition, we’re proud to offer a range of competitive benefits, a summary of which can be viewed here: AIG Benefits
What we’re looking for:
The Ideal Candidate would possess the following:
• Juris Doctorate Degree Required- Must be admitted and licensed to practice law in California.
• 5+ years of Workers' Compensation defense experience required. Insurance defense experience is preferred.
• Experience with investigations, pleadings, discovery, evaluation, hearings, motions/petitions, trial, reconsiderations, reporting, and compliance with litigation management.
• Strong and effective oral and written communications skills.
American International Group, Inc. (AIG) is a leading global insurance organization. AIG member companies provide a wide range of property casualty insurance, life insurance, retirement solutions and other financial services to customers in approximately 70 countries and jurisdictions. These diverse offerings include products and services that help businesses and individuals protect their assets, manage risks and provide for retirement security.
What unites us across all of these offerings is our commitment to helping individuals, businesses and communities prepare for and respond to times of uncertainty. Whether serving those facing natural disasters or millions of Americans striving for a financially secure retirement, we have the specialist expertise to help clients better manage risk.
We’re also committed to doing the right thing for our people and the communities where we work and live. It’s why we seek to offer what matters to our ever-diversifying team - like flexible and creative work environments, professional growth opportunities and forums to advocate for one another and incite change. We encourage employees to give back to the causes they care most about, supporting these efforts through our Volunteer Time Off and Matching Grants Programs.