Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Background on the Position – Vice President
Morgan Stanley Wealth Management Legal and Compliance Division is seeking to hire a Vice President to provide legal coverage for its Alternative Investments business. Specifically, the attorney will focus on alternative investment transactions and matters related thereto. The position will be based in Purchase, NY.
The lawyer will be part of a team of five alternative investments lawyers reporting to the head of the Alternative Investments legal team. The lawyer will have significant interaction with the business unit, and will work closely with the other lawyers on the alternative investments team. The lawyer will be a member of a broader group of advisory attorneys servicing Morgan Stanley Wealth Management’s products and services, and the role will involve coordination with attorneys covering the wealth management businesses.
In particular, the position is expected to involve analyzing, reviewing, negotiating, structuring and approving matters relating to the offering and distribution of alternative investments. In addition, the attorney will be involved in various business projects, both independently and in coordination with other team members, as necessary. The attorney will also work closely with Compliance, Risk and the business units.
The following is an illustrative, non-exhaustive list of the types of responsibilities that the successful candidate will be closely involved in:
The distribution of complex fund or feeder fund offerings, including drafting and negotiating placement agent or other distribution agreements, custom fund offerings, servicing agreements, review of offering documents (e.g., Private Placement Memoranda, Limited Partner Agreements, Subscription Agreements, Side Letters, etc.) and ongoing fund communications, as well as working with external counsel with respect to certain matters.
Advising on legal obligations arising in connection with corporate governance, investor relations, fund raising and investing activities
Reviewing marketing materials and investor presentations (including track record data)
Reviewing early stage transaction documents (NDAs, term sheets, agreements)
Reviewing and negotiating client account documentation related to alternative investment product and services and ongoing corporate communications
Review and interpret relevant statutes, rules and regulations applicable to wealth management products and services
Maintaining form agreements as well as working on discrete projects, regulatory inquiries, fund maintenance and other matters as appropriate
· J.D. required.
· A minimum of three (3) years relevant experience at a top quality law firm and/or in-house experience, preferably with a financial services firm (including a bank, broker-dealer, investment advisory firm, private equity, real estate or hedge fund).
· Experience with alternative investments preferred but, not required.
· Experience reviewing and interpreting statutes, rules and regulations, with knowledge of U.S. securities laws a plus (including Investment Advisers Act of 1940, Securities Act of 1933 (including Regulation D), the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, and the Investment Company Act of 1940)
· Experience on broker-dealer/FINRA matters a plus, along with related experience with applicable ERISA and tax issues.
· Candidates should have experience in complex transactions and projects and must be able to work independently when needed and also collaborate with cross functional groups.
· Professional maturity, confidence, presence and initiative
· Excellent judgment and analytical skills
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Strong interpersonal skills
· Strong management and administrative skills
· Team work and ability to multi-task in fast paced environment
Internal Number: 3169225
About Morgan Stanley
We believe capital can work to benefit all of society We make this belief a reality by putting clients first, leading with exceptional ideas, doing the right thing, and giving back.
If you are driven to succeed, eager to take on new challenges and open to collaborating with diverse colleagues in pursuit of excellence, you'll discover a wealth of exciting career opportunities at Morgan Stanley. Find your path with us, whether you're a student, a recent graduate or an experienced professional.