• Collaborate with the Company’s Environmental Affairs Department, Operations, outside counsel and environmental consultants to obtain best-in-class environmental performance.
• Manage small collaborative team of environmental attorneys while adding value in support of the Company’s environmental compliance and initiatives.
• Identify and gather factual information relevant to evaluating the Company’s environmental practices and initiatives.
• Analyze and interpret legal authorities and factual record to make recommendations that are aligned with Company’s goals.
• Serve as Company’s lead legal counsel in negotiations with Federal and State regulators.
• Provide analysis and recommendations of Company’s practices in compliance with CERCLA, RCRA, Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act and other applicable federal and state regulatory schemes.
• Research, review, interpret, and draft legal documents such as cost sharing agreements, administrative orders, and consent decrees.
• Supervise the Company’s Superfund Program.
• Review and approve budgets and invoices of outside counsel and consultants.
• Assist in the preparation of public filings with securities agencies and the preparation of internal documents needed for accurate financial reporting and disclosures.
• Work with minimum legal supervision and collaboratively with all levels of internal clients.
• Engage in limited domestic travel as required.
• Carry out other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• Juris Doctor and licensed to practice law in at least one state and in good standing is required.
• At least ten years of practicing law as part of an in-house team or law firm focusing on environmental regulatory matters.
• Experience in managing and supervising team of attorneys.
• Knowledge of best-in-class practices with respect to environmental regulations and sustainability initiatives required.
• Knowledge of historic environmental issues of large heavy industrial concerns greatly preferred.
• Experience in negotiating with government regulators and third parties or as serving in those roles.
• Excellent communication skills and attention to detail.
• Working knowledge of public disclosures of environmental matters.
• Geographic flexibility.
Telecommuting is allowed.
Internal Number: 10618BR
About United States Steel Corporation
US Steel is essential to advancing modern society. In fact, countless aspects of our lives wouldn't be possible without it. From state-of-the-art household appliances and safer, more fuel-efficient automobiles - to steel framing that makes our homes stronger and tubular products that support the development of our nation's energy resources - our products build quality of life for people around the world.
U. S. Steel is on an exciting transformational journey to become the iconic corporation - a company set apart from the competition through the talent of our people, the quality of our product, and the strength of our performance.
We are seeking talented, motivated people to help us create the next generation of U. S. Steel, known for consistently out-performing the competition, delivering superior returns, and creating value for our customers as a world-class supplier of innovative steel products and solutions.
Equal Employment Opportunity
U. S. Steel is a principled company committed to its core values of safety, diversity & inclusion, environmental stewardship, results focus & accountability. We focus on our customers, driving quality and ensuring cost effectiveness....
We promote an environment of respect, transparency and collaboration - encouraging new ideas that drive innovation and our collective success. U. S. Steel is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) according to job qualifications without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, genetics, sexual orientation, sex, gender identity, disability status or status as a protected Veteran or any other legally protected group status.
(California residents may visit www.ussteel.com/CANotice for information regarding collection of personal information and U. S. Steel's privacy practices.)