Over the last decade, we set out to be the world's greatest dialysis company, and over the next decade, we're poised to build the greatest healthcare community the world has ever seen. Through our commitment to training, mentoring, growth and quality-focused approach, we give teammates the opportunity to excel in an award-winning environment that enables them to thrive both professionally and personally.
The DaVita in-house legal team is known as the “Justice League.” The Justice League is comprised of over 300 attorneys, paralegals, and professionals in countries around the globe. The Justice League values diversity, support and respect for each other, analytical rigor, commitment to professional development, and a passion for excellence.
Primary role of the Assistant General Counsel is to serve as a lead attorney handling the operations aspect of an operating division. The Assistant General Counsel will provide advice, guidance and strategic counsel to senior management and the field on a wide variety of legal issues which arise from the day-to-day operations of a growing, complex organization operating in a heavily-regulated environment.
• Serve as operational attorney for a key operating group of DaVita. Reporting to a Group General Counsel, this role will provide advice and counsel to business leads on a wide variety of corporate and commercial issues.
• Provide legal counsel on a variety of health-care business, corporate and commercial matters.
• Provide legal oversight for business transactions and aid Group General Counsel on the structure and negotiation of said contracts.
• Draft, review, analyze and negotiate contracts, and other legal documents to which the company intends to become a party, including Medical Director Agreements, Operating Agreements, Leases/Subleases, Agreements ancillary to the dialysis business.
• Resolve business and lease disputes, and, if necessary, assist in the management of litigation.
• Develop a thorough understanding of the Company's business, its people, markets, facilities, customers and competitors in order to provide legal advice, structures and strategies.
• Establish a rapport and working relationship with business managers in order to encourage and continue the proactive use of in-house legal counsel.
• Perform special assignments as needed.
• Support and collaborate with other areas of the JLD and compliance, as needed.
• Assist in process improvement and establishment of best demonstrated practices for all aspects of legal operations.
• Travel is required
• J.D. degree and a minimum of six years minimum of legal experience in a mix of operations, corporate law and health care law preferred
• State bar passage and good standing.
• Candidates must possess in-house and/or law firm experience representing business clients.
• General understanding of relevant health care compliance issues (i.e., Anti-Kickback Statute, Stark, HIPAA).
• Understanding of Medicare certification, provider conditions and state licensing matters is a plus.
• Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
• Exceptional emotional intelligence and relationship-building abilities.
• Candidate Characteristics:
• Unquestioned integrity.
• Assertive and a self-starter.
• Maturity and personal self-confidence including confidence in legal opinions.
• Strong interpersonal skills including a strong sense of team.
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
• A keen understanding of business and commerce, and the ability to diagnose legal problems and present positive, creative solutions and alternatives for management.
• The ability to effectively manage relationships with outside counsel to maximize the quality of representation and remain within budget.
• A bright individual who is a “quick study” and grasps issues quickly.
• A hard worker but also embraces the Core Value of Fun!
• Ability to work well under pressure in a fast moving, dynamic company.
• The maturity and flexibility to work effectively with senior management, subordinates and operations personnel.
• The interpersonal skills to be a value add team participant with legal background rather than just the lawyer to the team.
Join us as we pursue our vision "To Build the Greatest Healthcare Community the World has Ever Seen."
Why wait? Explore a career with DaVita today.
Go to http://careers.davita.com to learn more or apply.
DaVita Inc., a Fortune 500® company, is the parent company of DaVita Kidney Care and DaVita Medical Group. DaVita Kidney Care is a leading provider of kidney care in the United States, delivering dialysis services to patients with chronic kidney failure and end stage renal disease. DaVita Kidney Care strives to improve patients' quality of life by innovating clinical care, and by offering integrated treatment plans, personalized care teams and convenient health-management services. As of September 30, 2017, DaVita Kidney Care operated or provided administrative services at 2,470 outpatient dialysis centers located in the United States serving approximately 196,000 patients. The company also operated 230 outpatient dialysis centers located in 11 countries outside the United States. DaVita Kidney Care supports numerous programs dedicated to creating positive, sustainable change in communities around the world. The company's leadership development initiatives and social responsibility efforts are recognized by Fortune, Modern Healthcare, Newsweek and WorldBlu.