The ideal candidate will have 5-10 years of experience as an IP Attorney for a law firm or have equivalent in-house experience with patent related matters.
Experience drafting and prosecuting patent applications for complex formulations is highly desired, however, experience drafting and prosecuting small molecule patent applications is also valuable. Responsibilities will include working with outside counsel to draft, file, and prosecute patent applications. Attorney will also assist in managing the patent portfolio of one of Afton’s high growth area strategic business units (SBU), counseling the SBU R&D Team on freedom-to-operate issues, including foreign opposition proceedings. Experience conducting invalidity and freedom-to-practice searches is desired. Familiarity with prior art searching, including various chemical search engines, e.g., STN®/SciFinder®, AnaVist, Aureka and more general full-text databases, e.g., LexisNexis® TotalPatentTM etc., is a plus.
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D., in chemistry. J.D. from accredited US law school
- Licensed to practice in at least one state
- Member in good standing of U.S. Patent Bar
- 5 to 10 years of experience as a patent attorney, particularly in patent drafting and prosecution, and freedom-to-practice/invalidity opinion work.
- Strong customer service mindset
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to work in a pro-active way, in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to travel if necessary (5-10%)
An Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to the individual’s race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, disability, genetic information, status as a military veteran or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
NewMarket Corporation is the parent company of Afton Chemical Corporation and Ethyl Corporation, and has been in business for over 125 years. Afton Chemical develops and manufactures petroleum additives that enhance the performance of lubricating oils and fuels. Ethyl Corporation manufactures diesel cetane improver and gasoline performance additives. As a parent company, NewMarket provides the le...adership, guidance, and support that will enable both Afton and Ethyl to succeed by meeting the demands of an ever changing market with outstanding products, technology, and service that deliver lasting quality. (www.newmarket.com)