HATCHBEAUTY Products, LLC is a company focused on beauty innovation. We specialize in working with brands and retailers on product development, turnkey product, creative services and strategic planning in cosmetic, skincare, haircare and fragrance. Our experience is broad, including developing concepts appropriate for all channels of trade ranging from prestige & specialty retail, direct to consumer, e-commerce and mass market. We specialize in custom, brand-focused projects. HATCHBEAUTY delivers intelligent, inspired solutions in areas of creative services, product development, brand strategy, product design, product concepts, packaging design and execution planning.
Simply put, we love beauty.
The General Counsel of Legal Affairs will oversee all aspects of legal for the Company and its affiliates. He/she will provide legal guidance and advice to the Board of Directors and Executive Team. The General Counsel will also collaborate effectively across the Company.
MAJOR JOB DUTIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each major duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Transactional (approximately 40%)
Serves as lead negotiator on contracts, working alongside the CEO and/or Business Development, and directly with major clients and customers.
Assists in strategic expansion of the Company through mergers and acquisitions.
Leads all due diligence efforts.
Negotiates and drafts a wide variety of contracts, including license, acquisition, manufacturing, formula ownership, independent contractor, domain purchase, confidentiality, and other agreements.
Advises employees of all levels within the Company on contract status, legal risks of contract terms, and business terms of deals.
Anticipates contract needs for all departments.
Advertising and Marketing (approximately 30%)
Advises on legal and regulatory compliance, including product claims, claim substantiation and labeling, for a variety of products, such as skincare, haircare, cosmetic, fragrance, and household products.
Serves as the Company’s primary resource for legal compliance to ensure Company’s products and advertising meets all applicable laws and regulations, including those laws specifically enforced by the FDA, FTC, EPA, state authorities, and international regulatory authorities.
Reviews all advertising and marketing materials in all channels, including online, print and mobile, to ensure regulatory and legal compliance both in the United States and abroad.
Responds to requests from regulatory authorities.
Keeps abreast of regulatory changes that may affect the Company; provides updates to Company as a whole and teams as needed.
Intellectual Property (approximately 20%)
Manages extensive trademark portfolio. Clears, files and maintains trademarks.
Manages all work performed by external intellectual property attorneys.
Files for preliminary patents and works with outside counsel as needed for same.
Advises all departments on intellectual property issues.
Handles all intellectual property disputes.
Obtains domains through domain purchase agreements as needed.
Other (approximately 10%)
Advises executives within the Company and works alongside employees in Innovation, Project Management, Sourcing, Sales and Marketing, Supply Chain, and Human Resources to develop, implement and lead solutions to complex legal questions and issues.
Supports Human Resources with significant employment law experience.
Resolves pre-litigation and litigation disputes internally or with outside counsel as needed.
Establishes, oversees and manages the legal budget.
Engages and manages all work performed by external legal advisors to the Company.
Develops, implements and leads solutions to complex legal questions.
Writes and implements legal SOPs.
Provides training to Company on substantive legal topics affecting the Company.
Bachelors and law degree from a top tier law school.
· Authorized to practice in the State of California.
· Minimum of 10 years of experience at a major US law firm and at a corporate legal department, preferably in the consumer product industry.
· Must have significant advertising and marketing experience in a highly regulated environment.
· Must have excellent transactional experience (drafting, reviewing and negotiating complex agreements, especially acquisition and license agreements).
· Must have experience filing and maintaining trademarks. International trademark experience highly desirable.
· Must have experience with employment law and HR matters.
· Must be able to work closely with the leaders of the business as well as stakeholders in the company regarding all legal matters that arise
· Management experience in dealing with outside counsel.
· Must have exceptional communication skills - written, verbal and able to communicate legal issues effectively to a variety of audiences
· Must have an incredibly high level of business/commercial acumen, especially as it relates to contracts, regulatory compliance, and intellectual property matters.
Specific Skills, Knowledge & Behaviors
· Customer Focus: Solicits and applies feedback from internal and external customers. Understands customers’ current and future expectations. Responds promptly to customer needs.
· Innovation: Develops and champions unique ideas and solutions. Finds new ways to use technology more effectively. Promotes continuous learning.
· Interdependent Partnering: Contributes to a productive and cooperative atmosphere. Shows commitment to team objectives. Contributes own fair share of effort.
· Master Complexity: Competently handles day-to-day work challenges. Thrives in uncertain circumstances. Adapts to changes in the work environment. Manages multiple tasks and competing demands. Changes approach or method to best fit the situation.
· Organizational & People Development: Challenges and motivates people to reach their highest potential. Creates an environment that encourages risk-taking. Sets clear performance standards and holds people accountable for results. Values, recognizes and rewards the achievement of others; Promotes teamwork. Encourages others to pursue challenging goals and to challenge the status quo; Fosters continuous professional development and career growth of a diverse workforce. Provides challenging work assignments and development opportunities. Identifies and champions high potential talent as a company resource. Coaches and mentors future leaders. Requires people to expand their capabilities, knowledge and skills. Functions as both a team player and leader. Provides frequent, informal feedback. Recognizes the contributions of others. Continuously strives to increase and refines supervisory skills; Sets and achieves challenging goals.
· Spoken Communication: Speaks clearly and concisely. Listens carefully and seeks clarification as needed. Delivers effective presentations.
· Written Communication: Writes clearly and informatively. Creates documents that are complete and accurate.
· Commitment: Strives to attain quality results on time; convey a sense of urgency and drives issues to closure. Earns a reputation for reliability and dependability.
· Decisions: Makes timely and sound decisions. Takes risks and manages them intelligently.
· Problem Solving: Proactively seeks solutions. Gathers and analyzes information systematically; Develops alternative solutions. Thinks analytically and act decisively.
· Diversity: Responds with sensitivity to people of diverse perspectives, ideas, backgrounds, lifestyles and age. Fosters open communication and respect for the individual.
Equipment Use & Abilities Required:
· Equipment Use: Copy machines, fax machines, calculators and typewriters, personal computers and computer terminals.
· Computer Skills: Software proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
· Language Skills: Ability to effectively communicate, both oral and written, at all levels internally and externally.
· Mathematical Skills: Knowledge of basic mathematical skills.
· Reasoning Ability: Ability to evaluate, select and implement the appropriate action to address each situation including those wherein the outcome is uncertain. Ability to achieve a favorable outcome while providing value to the customer. Processes and assimilates information both strategically and tactically.
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB:
· Office environment
HATCHBEAUTY Products is more than just a place to work. It’s an organization that values creativity, innovative thinking and diversity. We offer a great opportunity to work alongside highly intelligent and motivated people in a dynamic environment. HATCHBEAUTY Products is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V
HATCHBEAUTY PRODUCTS, LLC is a company focused on beauty innovation. We specialize in working with brands and retailers on product development, turnkey product, creative services and strategic planning in cosmetic, skincare, hair care and fragrance. Our experience is broad, including developing concepts appropriate for all channels of trade ranging from prestige & specialty retail, direct to consu...mer, e-commerce and mass market. We specialize in custom, brand-focused projects. Hatch Beauty delivers intelligent, inspired solutions in areas of creative services, product development, brand strategy, product design, product concepts, packaging design and execution planning.
Simply put, we love beauty.