Under the direction and supervision of the Real Estate attorneys, this position will assist attorneys in various aspects of commercial real estate transactions, including documentation, due diligence, closing and post-closing activities for acquisitions, dispositions, financings, leasing, development and construction projects. Experience with cooperative and condominium unit closings is beneficial.
Essential Job Duties
• Order and review title commitments, exception documents and surveys; interfacing directly with title companies and surveyors to resolve any issues or discrepancies.
• Administration of contract critical dates and preparation and administration of closing checklists.
• Coordination of and assistance with closings, including review and/or preparation of conveyance documents, closing statements, transfer tax forms, and escrow release documentation.
• Attending to post-closing requirements, including preparation of closing indices, preparation and organization of closing binders, and monitoring of post-closing deliveries and other requirements.
• Preparation of documents for and closing of cooperative and condominium units, including the preparation and filing of RPT forms.
• Preparation of correspondence and memoranda.
• Preparation of initial draft documents for attorney review, including estoppel certificates.
• Preparation of lease and loan document abstracts.
• Preparation of UCC financing statements.
• Attention to organizational and authority documents.
• Ordering of UCC lien searches and preparation of summaries of lien search results.
• Coordination of recording of documents in various counties and states.
• Preparation of letters of direction.
• Preparation of document exhibits and assistance with document assembly.
• Researching of state and local transfer tax, recording and document execution obligations and requirements.
Essential Job Applicant Attributes
• Proven analytical and organizational skills. Ability to pay close attention to detail and follow up requirements.
• Ability to be flexible, multi-task and prioritize work flow.
• Proven ability to problem solve, think independently and tackle projects with appropriate supervision.
• Ability to work effectively and professionally with colleagues, clients and opposing parties.
• Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing in a clear and concise manner.
• Ability and aptitude to work with numbers, calculations, etc.
• As this position is in a transactional area, the individual may need to be flexible to work additional hours as needed.
• Demonstrated proficiency in computer skills, including knowledge of EXCEL and WORD including the ability to merge files and databases, and the ability to conduct on-line research of public offices for tax, recording, zoning and other information.
Educational And Experience Requirements
• Bachelor degree, or comparable experience preferred.
• Four years of previous experience in commercial real estate transactions/closings, including experience with acquisitions, dispositions, financings, leasing, construction and development. Experience with cooperative and condominium closings is beneficial.
Desired Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• Notary Public license.
About Seyfarth Shaw LLP
Seyfarth Shaw LLP provides thoughtful, strategic, practical legal counsel to client companies and legal teams of all sizes. With more than 850 attorneys in the U.S., London, Shanghai, Melbourne and Sydney, we offer a national platform and an international gateway to serve your changing business and legal needs in litigation, employment, corporate, real estate and employee benefits.