Attorneys and other legal professionals within Capital One advise our diversified businesses on a broad range of legal issues in a constantly changing and stimulating environment. In addition, through its breadth of talent, bold initiatives, state of the art infrastructure and dynamic work environment, the Legal Department of Capital One is quickly becoming one of the most highly admired corporate legal departments in the country.
Capital One’s Legal Department is seeking an experienced litigation attorney to join our employment law team in Richmond, Virginia. The primary responsibilities of this position will include active oversight of outside counsel in defending Capital One in all employment litigation throughout the United States. The position will also entail investigating and resolving employment-related complaints, including EEOC Charges, DOL complaints and investigations, whistleblower complaints, and similar complaints and investigations. The position will require occasional travel throughout the United States for litigation-related events and investigations.
Candidates for this position must have a thorough understanding of and experience with litigation in federal and state courts (preferably employment litigation), conducting internal investigations, and responding to and resolving complaints filed with government agencies. This attorney will be expected to partner closely with outside counsel to deliver effective resolution of employment lawsuits and complaints. The attorney will also be expected to advise clients on proactive approaches to mitigating legal risk gleaned from litigation matters. This position will report to the Senior Director for the Employment Law Group.
Capital One’s Legal Department is a strong proponent of delivering great results through collaboration and strong relationships with our team members and our clients that is best accomplished through regular, in-person engagement. As the Employment Law Group and many of its HR clients are located in Richmond, Virginia, this position will be required to work in Capital One’s West Creek facility in Richmond.
Responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing outside counsel in defending Capital One against employment law claims throughout the United States;
- Investigating and resolving employment-related complaints, including EEOC Charges, DOL complaints, whistleblower complaints, and similar complaints and investigations;
- Collaborating with an internal team of legal professionals, a network of outside counsel, and business clients to deliver effective solutions to employment law litigation and complaints; and
- Partnering with business clients to proactively identify legal risks relating to employment law issues and to develop and adopt practices and measures that ensure legal compliance and mitigate these legal risks.
- Juris Doctorate (JD) degree from an accredited law school
- Currently licensed member of at least one state legal bar agency in good standing
- At least 3 years of legal experience as an attorney litigating employment or commercial civil claims in state and federal courts OR At least 3 years of legal experience as corporate counsel managing employment or commercial civil litigation OR At least 3 years of combined experience with the above.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in a major law firm or Fortune 500 company in-house legal department
- Extensive experience in litigating or managing litigation of employment law claims
- Extensive experience investigating and responding to employment-related complaints to federal, state, and local agencies, including EEOC Charges, DOL complaints, and similar state administrative complaints
- Extensive experience conducting internal investigations of employment law complaints
- Extensive experience responding to letters from attorneys asserting employment law claims
- Experience in responding to government investigations and audits of employment-related practices
- Experience investigating and resolving whistleblower and other retaliation complaints
- Outstanding judgment
- Ability to work effectively both in teams and independently, make effective and integrated decisions, and collaborate effectively with associates at all levels in the company
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with the ability to influence others
- Ability to deal with ambiguous situations, complex concepts and details
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Additional Salary Information: Base plus cash annual bonus
Capital One Financial Corporation (NYSE: COF) is a new breed of financial services provider and Fortune 500 company (#127). With more than 65 million customer accounts, our company has grown explosively since our IPO in 1994 and emerged with the two things most growing companies can only dream to achieve: one of the Americas’ largest consumer franchises with one of the most recognized brands (and ...wallet taglines!) in the United States. We’re an acknowledged leader in innovation by Tech Crunch for our “surprisingly well designed” Apple Pay introduction and also in work-life balance and inclusion as one of Fortune Magazine’s 100 Best Companies to Work For.
Capital One, which is still led by our founding CEO, Richard Fairbank, has grown into a $40B+ public corporation, known for world-class analytics and strategy, fueled by a brave internal culture. We were born as the first company to develop and offer mass customization and personalization of credit card products, and we’ve been adding businesses and innovating relentlessly ever since. Here you’ll find hackers, rockers, artists, entrepreneurs, and data scientists. As a team, we come to work every day looking to build digital experiences that are authentic & bold. Today we are a high-tech company, a scientific laboratory, and a well-funded force focused on designing a better way for people to engage with their money, their bank, and their financial lives. It’s audacious work at a massive scale and, hey, we think it’s pretty rewarding.