Provides legal advice to appropriate representatives of the State Farm Companies
Provides legal services on behalf of the State Farm Companies
Analyzes legal problems, interprets laws and regulations
Knowledge of company structure, general departments
Advanced knowledge of legal principles and practices related to the subject matter of the attorney's area of practice and/or leadership management skills
Anticipates and responds effectively to client's needs and actively assists clients by practicing preventive law
Demonstrates ability to be creative in approaching legal matters and/or litigation resolution
Established resource for the organization on complex issues
Must have active license to practice law in at least one state
Other than as authorized by the General Counsel or his designee, employees are not permitted to handle any legal business outside of State Farm except authorized pro bono work.
Newly hired employees must cease all outside practice and all suit involvement before joining State Farm
Travel may be required via commercial transportation or driving to job related activities
May work irregular hours due to workload and nature of the work
Position is for an RG1, RG2 or RG3 position. Primary job responsibilities include counseling State Farm Bank, F.S.B on consumer financing/lending, including vehicle lending, mortgages, home equity loans/lines of credit, and credit cards, and all related federal and state consumer protection laws and regulations.
Interested candidates should have:
1. Extensive experience in each of the following: (a) representing financial institutions and/or federal banking agencies in consumer finance/lending transactions; (b) Counseling financial institutions and/or federal banking agencies on all applicable federal and state banking laws and regulations, including Home Owners Loan Act, National Bank Act, fair lending/ECOA/Reg B, the Fair Housing Act, HMDA, TILA/Reg Z, FCRA, SCRA, RESPA, FDCPA, UDAAP; and (c) Counseling financial institutions on preparing for, managing and responding to regulatory examinations and related enforcement actions and/or litigation.
2. 10-15 years' experience in-house counsel with at least one federal banking agency (preferably CFPB) or financial institution is highly desired.
3. Keen grasp and working knowledge of current economic, political and other trends and legislative/regulatory issues impacting the financial services industry.
4. Expertise with bank compliance issues applicable to federal savings associations and/or national banks.
5. Working knowledge of bankruptcy issues.
6. Demonstrated legal, leadership, organizational and interpersonal skills.
7. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
8. Superior written and verbal communication skills.
9. Strong work ethic and customer-service mentality.